Thera-Band Academy Logo

Reverse Tyler Twist with the Thera-Band FlexBar for Golfers Elbow

September 29, 2009

Tim Tyler PT ATCRecently, New York physical therapist Tim Tyler developed and researched the “Tyler Twist” exercise with the Thera-Band® FlexBar® for his patients with lateral epicondylitis, or “tennis elbow.”  The exercise was so effective that he terminated the clinical trial because the test subjects were improving so quickly over the control group of patients. As word of the success of his exercise spread, many people began to ask, “Will a similar exercise with the FlexBar work for golfer’s elbow?” Golfers Elbow is technically known as ‘medial epicondylitis’ and is characterized by pain on the medial (inside) of the elbow, in contrast to the lateral elbow pain of tennis elbow.

In response to the many requests for an exercise for Golfer’s Elbow, Tyler invented the “Reverse Tyler Twist.” The exercise uses the same Thera-Band FlexBar color progression, and emphasizes an eccentric contraction of the wrist flexors and pronators, in contrast to eccentric contraction of the wrist extensors with the Tyler Twist. “We think the Reverse Tyler Twist will have similar results for medial elbow pain, but we don’t know for sure, so we’re going to do a study on this exercise as well,” said Tyler, a research associate with the Nicholas Institute of Sports Medicine and Athletic Trauma (NISMAT).

14 Comments

1. Brian
    Posted February 25, 2010 at 9:26 am | Permalink

when the video shows involved elbow…does that mean the injured elbow? in the r.twist video looks like the woman is a lefty then?

2. Posted February 25, 2010 at 10:01 am | Permalink

Yes, the involved elbow refers to the painful side / injured elbow.

3. phyllis ranson
    Posted May 30, 2010 at 6:03 pm | Permalink

I just received my yellow and red FlexBars in the mail. I will start using the Reverse Tyler Twist and ice for my golfers elbow. The instructional video was very helpful! I will let you know my progress in about 3 weeks!
    Thanks for sharing your idea with me.

4. Nick
    Posted August 4, 2011 at 2:41 am | Permalink

Just found out about the FlexBar. How do I know which color I should start with? Are there any guidelines?

5. Anonymous
    Posted August 4, 2011 at 1:28 pm | Permalink

For tennis elbow : http://info.thera-bandacademy.com/flexbarelbow
    For golfers elbow : http://info.thera-bandacademy.com/flexbarelbowmedial

6. Bob Kaitz
    Posted November 10, 2012 at 7:37 pm | Permalink

Just received FlexBar. Been suffering from golf elbow for about 8 months. Tried pt, acupuncture, and finally cortisone shot which was now 3 weeks ago. Shot did help. 90% of the pain is gone.

Watched the video and believe I am doing the exercise correctly. What is the suggested reps per day. I am starting with red but also ordered green.

Thanks,

Bob

7. Dr. Phil Page
    Posted November 12, 2012 at 7:59 pm | Permalink

Start with 2 to 3 sets of 10 to 15 repetitions with the red. Once you can do 3 sets of 15, progress to the next color (Green).

8. don Avid
    Posted November 13, 2012 at 8:53 pm | Permalink

I just got the flexbar in green and have started the exercise.
    The article says that studies are being conduted on the flexbar for golfers elbow.
    What were the results?

9. Dr. Phil Page
    Posted November 14, 2012 at 6:19 am | Permalink

The golfers elbow study will be completed early next year and hopefully presented next summer. Preliminary data are encouraging!

10. Don Falco
    Posted February 8, 2013 at 2:43 pm | Permalink

Should the three sets (each 15 reps) be done spread throughout the day or all three sets in one session?

11. Dr. Phil Page
    Posted February 10, 2013 at 2:09 pm | Permalink

They can be spread out throughout the day. Let us know how it worked for you.

12. Dave
    Posted November 24, 2013 at 7:06 pm | Permalink

Did the golfers elbow study ever get finished and released?

13. Dr. Phil Page
    Posted November 25, 2013 at 12:30 pm | Permalink

Yes, the study was completed and presented at the 2013 TRAC meeting. You can download the abstract here: http://www.thera-bandacademy.com/resource/x-showResource.aspx?id=3781

14. Wayne
    Posted December 15, 2013 at 12:03 pm | Permalink

I developed a sore elbow playing pickleball which I thought was tennis elbow. I bought the flex bar and tried the tennis elbow exercise which caused a lot of pain. I realized that my elbow pain was in the back of the elbow – similar to the pain I experienced as a high school baseball pitcher. The motion that I use for a pickleball overhead smash is similar to the motion that I used for throwing a screwball. I tried the exercise for golfers elbow and my elbow feels wonderful after just one exercise session. Has this flex bar been tried for baseball pitchers?